Sunday, October 28, 2007

Mediocre, to say the least

First and foremost, I want to commend this young author for his bravery in writing such a spooky tale. Well, it would have been spooky had he worked on a second draft of his storytelling, but that's not what we are here to critique, are we?

Perhaps it is because I have actually visited the place he references (Sunny Land Clinic, although to use the word 'clinic' is a stretch) and at night the place literally creeps you out. There is gory and gothic writing on the walls, scratch marks from fingernails on the walls, and none-too-subtle death threats painted on the stairwells and elevator shafts warning all who dare to enter about an untimely demise. The place is a perfect setting for a story that could scare the wits out of anyone who reads about it (Hello, House on Haunted Hill!) but the author doesn't live up to the setting that he chose! That, in and of itself, was the biggest problem I found with the story. Grammar problems and spelling aside; if you are going to write a story about one of Tallahassee's most creepiest locations, you should at least attempt to give it justice. This author instead wrote a story very similar to the movie script of The Forgotten and added a bit of Tallahassee folklore to top it off. Instead of creeping the reader out, he instead gives us something to laugh about when envisioning the story in its actual setting. (Or, at least, those who have been there can smile at the description).

Now, I don't intend to rip the author to shreds...his story has smooth transitions and definitely has a great beginning and great storyline. He or she just needs to tweak the story around the edges. Perhaps work on a spookier storyline; one that does not end with its just a dream, you're fine! He or she could write a plot that doesn't come right off of a movie script. They could add a little bit more description and maybe work on the characters. One of the biggest problems I've seen with short stories is that there simply isn't enough space to add as much detail as a writer may want to add...but in this story's case I think it is a necessity. We need characters that we can relate to in a setting that is believable...and this story leaves us not wanting more...but wanting something.

If I were to conference with this author, I would ask him or her how they came up with the storyline. I would ask for more description of Sunny Land and attempt to get them to see with their words instead of their eyes. I would, of course, tell them to proof read before they turn in a story...but if we are encouraging young writers then often it is not important to point out grammatical errors. The story is rough, but definitely could be improved! It is a great attempt!! :-)

2 comments:

Emily55 said...

I also agree with you that the "It was all just a dream" ending needs to be changed at the end of "Jeremy's" story, and that some parts of the plot in his story definitely needed some tweaking. I have never seen the movie "The Forgotten" either, but if it is very similar to his story, maybe that should be addressed in conference with him as well. I do, however, think his details were fantastic for being only a Junior in High School. I have never been to SunnyLand but he described it just as I would have imagined. Maybe I just have had to been there to understand where you are coming from with giving it more justice, but then again- maybe he is just imagining what it is like in there too!

Jessica said...

I don't know about changing the ending. I actually thought it was "cute." Like Emily said, we have to remember that this kid is only in eleventh grade. I agree with Emily that the details were very good for such a young, obviously undeveloped, writer.

Maybe due to the fact that I have been there either, I am a little biased. But I can also see where Josey is coming from in that aspect. If I had been there, my ability to create visual descriptions with my words would probably be a little more advanced than Jeremy's.

As for it being based on the "Forgotten," I can't say that didn't cross my mind. But, in my opinion, I don't think he was a copy-cat. At least I hope not, anyway.